[mythtv] Help - how to patch 0.9.0-rc5 on Debian unstable?

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:16:10 -0500

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 12:06:15AM -0500, dschwarz@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> OK, so now I'm hitting the infamous hang problem as well.  Switch channels
> and the system locks up tight.  I'm using Alsa 0.9.0-rc5 (Debian unstable
> binary packages).  Looks like I'll be waiting awhile for the packagers to
> update to rc6 or later,  so I'm thinking about getting the Debian source
> package and applying the patch myself.

Why do you say that you'll be waiting a while?  While the ALSA packages were
bitrotting for a while, Jordi Mallach has been doing a lot of work on them,
fixing a lot of bugs and updating to rc5.

> I haven't worked with Debian source packages before, so can anyone provide
> some tips (or better yet, a walkthru) on how to get the source package,
> patch it, and build it?

Are you using the stock kernel, or a custom kernel?  If you're not already
building a custom kernel, and thus familiar with the module building
process, you're better off waiting for the official packages.

> Even better, anyone built an unofficial Debian binary package for the
> latest Alsa?

The binary package would need to exactly match your kernel.

--
 - mdz