[mythtv] Wanna Laugh?

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:42:16 -0800 (PST)

OK, for all those who have been following my MythTV headaches, I've got
more news for you.

Initial Try:  Using RH8 -- NO LUCK.
Second Try:   Using Mandrake 9.0 -- STILL NO LUCK (BUT CLOSER?)
Third Try:    Mandrake 9.0 w/ new sound card -- STILL NO LUCK

OK, I switched to Mandrake 9.0 (for the good ALSA support) and didn't have
get much further.  Most people kept pointing at the sound/soundcard so I
decided to get a new SoundBlaster PCI-512 and reinstall Mandrake 9.0 from
scratch.  MythTV STILL won't come up even though I have great success with
xwatv and other video/sound apps.

Isaac said that he tought it might be my [crappy] hardware, so I replaced
the onboard sound with a new soundblaster PCI-512.  I've got a
WinTV-Stereo card.  The only other crappy hardware I have is my video
card, but that shouldn't really effect it, right?  I mean, the video seems
fine in other apps.

Why is this such a pain in the ass?  I've followed the Mandrake9 install
instructions.  All the sound/video works well under xawtv.

One thing I thought was odd:  I ran 'gdb mythtv' to see if it spit out
anything useful and it did something that it didn't do under RH8.  After
typing in 'gdb mythtv' followed by 'run' it probed all the WinTV's inputs
(which it usually does) BUT THEN it dropped me BACK TO the gdb prompt.
Under RH8 is never went back to the gdb prompt, it just hung and I'd have
to give it a Control-C.

Perhaps there's some odd electro-magnetic field in my room.
Perhaps there's too much dust in my computer case.
Perhaps my room isn't quite level.
Perhaps I'm not praying to the right God.
Other than that, I don't know what it could be!  :(

Yours,
Confused in California