[mythtv] VGA to NTSC scan converter

Broc Stirton mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:46:06 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Robert Kulagowski wrote:

> > But is the difference between 800x600 and 640x480 noticeable
> > on a TV screen?
>
> I don't know.  Can someone that already has one of these devices let
> us know?  What's the difference between sampling up to 525 lines from
> 480 and sampling down from 600 to 525?  Can you tell the difference
> when you switch the PC from 640x480 to 800x600?

I have a scan converter that I use (not the particular unit mentioned in
this thread).  It looks much better with 800x600 than 640x480.  I have not
installed MythTV yet (this box is just a K6-2 450), but playing mpegs with
mplayer, reading text, looking at xmms are all better with the resolution
set to 800x600 than 640x480.  However, when I set it up, I just grabbed a
half dozen or so each of 800 and 640 modelines and cycled through to find
the best one.  I did not optimize
refresh (the documentation that came with the unit gave no
recommendations).

Does any one have any info on what refresh would
theoretically work best with a scan converter?  My first instinct (60Hz)
proved to most defintely not be the best looking.