[mythtv] VGA to NTSC scan converters

Jason Keirstead mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:23:58 -0400

But is the difference between 800x600 and 640x480 noticeable on a TV screen? I
was always under the impression that since NTSC has 525 scan lines, a 800x600
resolution would make *more* fit on the screen, but would not do anything for
additional quality (ie, it would allow more buttons in the UI, but video
quality would be the same). Am I off base here? Anyone with more background
help me out?

If 640x480 will work fine, I'd ratehr get the cheaper one. but if video
quality will suffer, then no.

On Thursday 14 November 2002 01:14 pm, Robert Kulagowski wrote:

> >You can get them on Ebay for roughly half that cost brand new. Just
> >do a  search for "VGA to TV"
>
> But make sure that the NTSC resolution is what you want:  it appears
> that the "Web Cable Plus" that was mentioned can do 800x600 and
> 1024x768, but the "half price" ones on Ebay are the "Web Cable", and
> can only do 640x480.  That's going to impact the UI, which I think
> assumes that everything is at least 800x600.

Nope, all the UIs should resize themselves automatically, 'slong as you modify
the GuiWidth and GuiHeight in theme.txt.

Isaac