[mythtv] Couple Newbie Questions

Jeremy Oddo mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:23:33 -0800 (PST)

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 02:02:26PM -0800, Jeremy Oddo wrote:
>
>> *** OK, before I go on too much more, I guess I should say this (and I
>> feel stupid for not bringing it up earlier) I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING
>> PLUGGED INTO THE SOUND CARD EXCEPT SPEAKER OUT!  Why?  Well, I'm just
>> doing testing right now before I build a better box.  I figured that I
>> didn't NEED to have an audio-in connection.  Does MythTV check for a
>> valid connection before proceeding with showing the live video stream?
>
> So what sound device do you have mythtv configured to use?

/dev/dsp

> If it is
> trying to get input from your sound card, and you have no inputs
> connected, that will obviously not work.

Well, yeah, obviously.  I know it won't "work" (as in, I won't HEAR
anything) but will it "work" (as in, will I see video and my machine won't
lock-up?).  As Bill Clinton would say:  "It all depends on what you mean
by the word 'work'?  I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

I guess my question was:  do I need to have a _physical_ audio connection
in order for MythTV to initialize properly and display a video feed?

However, none of that really matters right now as I'm _trying_ to get ALSA
set up properly.  I *think* it's set up right but my machine keeps locking
up on me.  Perhaps it's my on-board VIA audio.  Don't know.  That's the
best part...it could be almost anything!

I'm running RH8 but I'm thinking of going debian as it seems like the
install might be easier under that distro.

Oh well...

Jeremy