[mythtv] Poll: System Requirements

Emil Friis mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:31:45 -0800 (PST)

I like the idea. Another couple of questions I would
like to add are:

How much memory do you have?
How much Processor does Myth use total (all threads) as
reported by "top" when:

a) When you are recording without watching anything
b) When viewing TV
c) When viewing a recorded show
d) When recording and watching the show at the same time

I don't remember all that info but will resend when I
get home.

I have an AMD XP 2000+ processor with 256 MB DDR 2100.
I have an AverMedia AverTV Stereo capture card in my
PC.  I use the MPEG4 codec with a quality setting of
3300 with a width and height of 640 x 480.  I use audio
compression.  I use ext3 as my filesystem.

I have a Maxtor 60GB 7200 rpm w. standard cache hard
drive as my storage drive and an old Fireball lct20
40GB 4500 rpm for the system.
My hdparm -tT /dev/hd? values are approx. (from memory):
Maxtor: 285/47
Fireball: 285/20

My system can view live TV without glitches. Lately
though I have noticed that when I skip forward several
jumps the video starts almost stuttering until I pause
and restart playback.