[mythtv] Frame Drops

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 21:58:56 -0500

On Monday 11 November 2002 05:27 pm, Oatz wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I've been using a relatively simple PVR setup for the last year using
> Nuppelvideo, transcode and a few bash scripts which handle the distributed
> encoding over a few servers using NFS. I have one serious question before I
> take the plunge to mythtv:
>
> How is mythtv offering realtime PVR functions (pause/rewind) with fairly
> reasonable quality (512h-640h) without dropping a huge number of frames?
>
>     My Nuppelvideo to transcode setup, produces 2 gig files every 15
> minutes (640x480) which take nearly an hour to encode to divx5 or mpeg2 on
> a 935mhz P3. How does mythtv offer the same functions in realtime? Even
> with a quad Xeon 2ghz box, you couldnt transcode from nuv to mpeg/divx5 at
> 640x480  @ 23fps in realtime. Either I've been wasting the last year with
> serious problems in my setup, or mythtv needs to make its capabilities
> clear in the FAQ.
>
>     Either way, mythtv looks like a great package and I'm looking forward
> to integrating it with my current PVR setup.
>
> PS: I can't code. But I can write a mean bash script ;)

Yeah, I guess it's just not possible that I'm encoding at 640x480 to mpeg4,
encoding audio to mp3, and playing all that back in real time with plenty of
cpu to spare on an XP 1800+...  Anyway, I can _almost_ do two encodes and a
decode process at those same settings, there's just not quite enough CPU.  =)

Isaac