[mythtv] Couple Newbie Questions

Allen T. Gilliland IV mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:51:27 -0800 (PST)

Okay ... I believe I ran into the same exact problem
that you are facing.  I am planning on compiling some
information on stuff that did and didn't work for me
with mythtv, but I haven't gotten to it yet.  For now
here's a quick rundown.

My mythtv was freezing and spewing some error about
not being able to open the audio device /dev/dsp.  I
followed everyone's advice to mute the input line and
set it to record.  But for some reason the kernel
sound driver or mixer would not do it correctly.  So I
went ahead and installed alsa drivers and switched to
using alsa and now sound and everything works.

This may not be your exact problem ... but I remember
somewhere in the docs it said Alsa is recommended ...
so you should do it.

Here's a few steps to get you on your way to using
alsa:

1. make sure that you are NOT using your old sound
drivers.  If they are modules then make sure they are
not loaded.  If they are built into the kernel then
change them to modules.

2. you SHOULD recompile your kernel to have sound
support as a module.  This is from the alsa
documentation.

3. then just follow the instructions to get alsa
working on the gentoo site ... thats what I used.  I
realize you don't have a Gentoo system ... but that
just means that the "emerge" steps will have to be
done manually by downloading the package ... no
biggie.

There is tons of documentation at www.tldp.org and
www.alsa-project.org ... that documentation should
answer 99% of the questions you need answering.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

Once you have alsa up and running ... then test mythtv
again and see if you get the same problem ... if we
can search for the problem elsewhere ... but get alsa
working first.

good luck.

-- Allen