[mythtv] first time trying to setup MythTV

Reggie Burnett mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:14:36 -0600

Setup (until I get it working):
AMD Athlon 1700
1 gig ram
AverTV Stereo
Soundblaster Value
GeForce 2
RedHat 8.0
MythTV 0.6

Kudos to RedHat 8 for finding the AverTV card and setting it up
automagically.  Xawtv worked right out of the gate.

Experience (mainly issues, if it is not listed assume it went well):
1.  Had difficulty getting MySQL setup correctly mainly because the
README did not indicate where the mysql.txt file should be so that the
different proggies could find it.  I finally looked in setup's main.cpp
to see where it was looking.

2.  could not get xmltv to install correctly because XML::Twig would not
install.  I used the CPAN module interface to download and attempt
install of it.  It kept failing on the testing part.  I tried to force
an install of XML::Twig but the install script for xmltv sensed that it
was not working and bailed.

3.  My avertv card was apparently setup as /dev/video0 but I left the
audio as /dev/dsp.  Running MythTV brought tv fullscreen but the audio
was running a full 1-2 seconds ahead of the video.

4.  Hit Esc to attempt close of MythTV.  The video portion left the
screen but the audio continued on.

So far that is it.  I have used this AverTV stereo card under Windows
XP.  The card works great though the software sucks.  Timeshifting (or
any type of recording) puts the cpu at about 40-50% at 5600 kbits/sec
which is best quality.

More when I have it.

Reggie