[mythtv] (newbie) my experience so far...

Shawn Rutledge mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:53:05 -0700

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 10:25:37AM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 November 2002 03:39 am, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> > I got through the installation of 0.6 up to the point of running mythtv.
> > It says "Couldn't find Xv support, exiting."  However my XFree86.0.log
> > contains
> >
> > (II) Loading extension XVideo
> > (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
> >
> > and I'd think that's what it's wanting?
>
> Saying the extension is loaded doesn't mean that support's there.
> If you run 'xvinfo', you'll get something of the same message -- 'no adaptors
> present' or something like that.  Basically, your video card (or at least the
> driver) doesn't support the output method mythtv uses.

Yep, sure enough.  I have an nvidia card; so I got their proprietary
driver and kernel module installed, but XVideo still didn't work.  The
reason?  I had to go into the BIOS and enable an interrupt for the card.
I never needed an interrupt for a video card before.

That would be good info for the FAQ IMHO.  (you need XVideo, and possible
things to check if it doesn't work...)

I have MythTV working basically, but it's too slow, and I think my hard
drive is the reason.  Despite being SCSI UW, it's only giving about 7.5
MB/sec read speed according to hdparm.  Pathetic huh?  And it's too
small anyway so I'll get a new one before I get serious about recording
video on that machine.  But last night I overclocked the machine to see
if it would help, and then left it running MythTV; and this morning it
was in some kind of comatose state, so I will have to get it booting
again.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)                       http://ecloud.org  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org