[mythtv] Start using Mythtv/cvs

Lego Andy mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 13:35:10 -0500

Hi Matt,

Well in projects like CMake and VTK, we perform lots of tests every
night to make sure things still work. When developers commit their
changes, they make sure that things at least seem to work before they
commit them in and so people actually use CVS versions for their
work. Though this is not recommended, we do take that into an account
when committing things into CVS. That said, people do break things
every once in a while.

Sometimes, somebody does something really radical. For example a while
ago we figured out that VTK (800+ C++ classes) takes too long to
compile since all files include IO streams and we were exploring
different options on how to remove IO streams. We did this on CVS
branch. This way, the trunk stayed "stabile".

Anyway, I am not expecting you guys to adopt this methodology. I just
wanted to explain...

Sort of like Debian unstable. It does not really have to be completely
stable, but there are several non debian developers who use it. It is
not recommended, but I suspect things have to kind of work before they
go in.

I think the changes you guys are doing in CVS (unstable) mythtv are
really cool though. They will really lift mythtv above, well, other
similar tools.

				Andy