[mythtv] Start using Mythtv/cvs

Lego Andy mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 11:23:49 -0500

Hi Matt,

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 17:49:07 -0500
Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> These instructions are provided by the author to help people in getting
> started with the development code.  They are not a manual, and they will
> be incomplete whenever anything significant changes in the development
> version.

Ok, fair enough.

> 0.7 is a release, and there is a fundamental difference between using
> released code and using whatever happens to be in the CVS repository
> today. Basically, the code in CVS will undergo constant change, and when
> it is decided that it is time for a release, things are cleaned up and
> packaged so that it is ready to run.  This is a very common approach to
> software development, and is not at all specific to this project.

Yes, I agree it is a common way of doing things. I got spoiled working
on projects such as VTK, CMake, ..., which is a bit more strict about
the code in CVS.

> I look forward to it.  Since this only happens when mythtv is
> misconfigured or unconfigured, it doesn't seem like a terribly high
> priority.

So, I found out what the problem is and just to admit, it does report
error on mythbackend terminal before it crashes. The problem is that
when ThreadedFileWriter is created (in RingBuffer), there is a check
if the file was open. If the file is not open, the error is reported
and buffer is not created, so when writes (ThreadedFileWriter::Write)
are made, the buffer does not exists and memcpy...

Anyway, yes, it is a minor thing compare to some other "real" bugs,
but hey, I would classify this one into the category of "Things which
are temporarily broken due to the implementation of a new feature, or
other restructuring, but may be forgotten when the "release" 0.8 is
out.

Thanks.

			Andy