[mythtv] Design questions

Bruce Markey mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:35:32 -0800

Since shortly after the split, I've been experimenting
with modifying the source to have the clients connect to
the name of my backend server rather than the hardcoded
"localhost". This works with some caveats. I did this
on the assumption that this was the intent but remote
frontends hadn't been fully implemented yet. I assume by
the hostname field added to capturecard and recorded that
multiple backends will be supported but since the hostname
is not being filled in the recorded table this probably
isn't implemented yet.

I'm now wondering if maybe the plan is to have a backend
on each system with a frontend. So a couple quick question
just to make sure I'm working in the same direction that
the design is going:

1) Will frontends connect to backends on remote hosts?

2) If a frontend must connect to a backend on the localhost
will a backend run without a tuner card?

3) Will frontends connect to each backend to get the files
or live tv tuners they server or will one backend serve
all the resources a frontend needs?

4) Since different hosts may have different frontend
settings (overscan, deinterlace, theme dimensions, etc.)
is there a plan for per host setting?

--  bjm