[mythtv] public cvs access

Cedar McKay mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 15:38:58 -0800

I noticed that you can no longer download a tarball of the cvs as an
anonymous user. I'm assuming this is on purpose. I understand Isaac and
other experts not liking the stream of questions from people who try to
use the cvs because it is the "latest and greatest" rather than for
testing/debugging/developing. However, I think there are a lot of users
like me who have been quietly following the cvs, don't bug the list,
and occasionally offer useful info back to the developers. I like to
think that I'm contributing to the project in my own small way by
maintaining the Red Hat section of the documentation. I feel a little
cut out of the loop by this latest move. I would like to propose that
the anonymous cvs downloads be restored, but perhaps you would have to
click through a page that warns you something like " The cvs is for
expert users only and that it is expected that things may be broken,
please don't email the developer list unless you feel confident that
you have a real bug that the developers need to know about". Then we
would click an "agree" button and then be allowed access to the
downloadable cvs. I think that would keep the bulk of the pestering
questions at bay, while still allowing interested people to follow and
contribute.

best,

cedar