[mythtv] Debian unstable QT strangeness?

Dave Caplinger mythtv-dev@snowman.net
22 Dec 2002 21:54:44 -0600

Well, I can't keep myself from tinkering with my MythBox, and earlier
today I updated my Debian-based system (I use 'aptitude' for this) and
noticed that a new version of libqt, libqt2, etc. were included.  (This
may just be a coincidence, I'm not a Debian uber-geek.)

Anyway, mythepg, mythfrontend, etc. wouldn't work anymore and failed at
startup with "error loading shared libraries: libfontconfig.so.1".  I
thought, well, no big deal I'll just recompile (I'm running 0.7, not
CVS.)  I set QTDIR=/usr/share/qt and did 'make' but next it started
complaining about QMAKESPEC not being defined properly.  I've never had
to define that before, but I figured out that probably I want it to be
set to '/usr/share/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++'.  I did a 'make distclean' and
then a 'make' and things seemed to be compiling normally.

HOWEVER.  Eventually, the make fails and complains that:

  /usr/bin/ld: warning: libfontconfig.so.1, needed by
  /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2, not found (try using -rpath or
   -rpath-link)

So recompiling didn't really help me at all.  libfontconfig.so.1 isn't
on my system anymore (if indeed it had been there at all), so I'm dead
in the water now.

Since I run Debian unstable, I know that from time to time something
just simply breaks as a result of an update and typically if I wait a
day or two and do another update things will return to normal, so maybe
this just the price I pay for running unstable, but I thought I should
mention it in case anyone else here runs into the same issue.

Can anyone that knows more about this give me a pointer on how to fix
this?  Thanks very much!

--
Dave Caplinger <dent@cox.net>