[mythtv] hardware acceleration

Mike Payson mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 01:50:15 -0800

On Thursday 19 December 2002 06:34 pm, Ray wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 10:06:48PM -0800, Peter M Schuh wrote:
> > Hi-
> >
> > Does anyone have any data on how much TV cards with hardware acceleration
> > help the CPU?  I just got a Matrox G200-TV and I'm wondering if I can use
> > an old celeron 700MHz with it.
> >
> > I know that some hardware acceleration is in CVS--that's what I'm curious
> > about.
>
> With this capture card your limiting factor is going to be playback speed.
> If your system can play mjpegs at whatever size you plan to capture in then
> you'll be fine.  I use this card and recently switched out dual Celeron 500
> box (which worked fine at decimation 2) for a single Duron 650 which also
> seems fine at decimation 2.  It doesn't drop any frames but it's a bit
> sluggish when doing more than one thing at a time.  Of course it only has
> 96MB of ram and is operating completely over NFS so those have some impact
> as well.

I'm just getting ready to build my system. Would this card be better then one
of the newer cards (a modern WinTV, for example)? My system isn't lacking
horsepower (Athlon 2100+), but I do hope to be able to capture two streams at
a time, while watching a previously recorded show. Picture & sound quality is
important. Is there any compelling advantage of the G450 over this card for
TV purposes?

Also, how is the TV out on this card?

--
Mike Payson  |  DawgDayz Dog Walking & Pet Sitting
(206) 280-7295 | www.dawgdayz.com | mpayson@dawgdayz.com