[mythtv] Will the wife like it?

SMITH David mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:21:56 -0500

I have managed to get my wife excited about the concept of a PVR, but she is
much more comfortable with a retail box (Tivo or Replay, for example) than
[another] pc in the house that is configured to do PVR work.  I have never
seen MythTV in action, so I do not know how well it performs in comparison
to Tivo/Replay.  I would like to have a better feel for:
- how the resolution/quality level of the video from MythTV compares to
Tivo/Replay
- what features of the Tivo/Replay software and remote will my wife forego
if I build a MythTV box
- reliability of MythTV: how many of you have lost shows or missed
recordings because of hardware/software or just configuration issues

I want to build a MythTV box, but I also want to stay married.

I live in Portland, OR.  If anyone on the list with a working MythTV box
lives within driving distance please contact me --  I'd love to trade some
beer for the ability to see the thing in action.

David