[mythtv] MythTV to call external programs? -- FAQ?

Brian Wente mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:38:25 -0500

from the FAQ ...

---------
Can I setup MythTV to call external programs? (DVD, etc)

Making a button and binding it to play DVDs would be easy enough, just look
at how the mainmenu.xml file runs mythmusic for an example. Playback of
other media types would just need something that does a directory search for
allowable file extensions, displays a list of matching files, and runs a
user specified program when selected. Pretty much extremely easy code, if
anyone wants to do it.
---------

Has any one done this yet? I looked in the xml and saw the <action></action>
but that doesn't get me very far. How easy is it can I do a search for cd
and replace with dvd? Do I need to get a book on C++?

Sorry for the basic question, I have just 'switched' from Mac to Linux so
that I can use a real pvr system.

-- Brian