xawtv on Mandrake 9.0 (was RE: [mythtv] I want a Clear Picture)

Larry Matter mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:06:11 -0800 (PST)

> it is super lame that this is not an obvious step in the setup of xawtv,
>  and it is not well documented.

Note that Mandrake 9.0 will detect that you haven't configured xawtv when
you first try to run it and lead you through the setup process (at least,
it did for me when I ran it from the menu).  That kind of finishing touch
is what I really like about Mandrake.

However, it didn't seem to install all the xawtv extras (like v4lctl).
For those I had to give the following commands:

urpmi xawtv-misc xawtv-control

This will give you v4lct as well as other cool toys like streamer (which
captures from the TV card to a file).

I found that playing around with v4lctl and streamer helped me learn more
about this whole video capture process.

Larry