[mythtv] Feature suggestion, automatic old show deletion.

Erik Arendse mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:23:23 +0100

At 13-12-02 10:07, Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
>On Thursday 12 December 2002 12:40 pm, Henk Poley wrote:
> > Does that work? I mean, descriptions about the same show aren't quite same
> > every time. Or on the other hand, there are shows (DIY, garding, talkshows,
> > ??) that have the same (short) description every time. At least in my dead
> > tree hardcopy TV-guide.
>
>Yes, it works for all the shows that I record, at least.  It requires that
>both the episode name and description are non-null and match each other..
>Most of the shows with the same description like those that you mention don't
>have episode names, so they aren't a problem.

Difference between US and most European countries.  When you are talking
"same shows", in the US a show can be shown several times a day and then
again some more in a few days time.

In Europe most you will get on the air-channels are a single re-run the
same day of some shows on some channels (perhaps 1 out of 10 shows, 50% of
the channels never repeating a single show?)  These reruns will usually
have exactly the same description, but sometimes only say something like
"rerun" instead of the original description.

In Europe most tvguides are entered by different companies, quite often
even typed in by hand. Descriptions are sometimes _nearly_ identical, and
not marked as "rerun".

The other type of rerun is when a show is repeated in full a year or a few
years later. Sometimes the XMLTV tag says "rerun" as well, but for a human
a rerun from the same day or one from 1997 is quite different...

And like henk wrote: quite often a 100% identical description etc. means
sometimes different episode, sometimes a rerun.

I don't know about satellite channels though, could mimic the US situation.

Erik