[mythtv] RedHat 8.0 and hardware questions.

Henk Poley mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:57:20 +0100

> Van: m0j0.j0j0 <m0j0@foofus.net>
>
> I'm wondering if I have something messed up on my box. I have Maxtor
> 7200RPM UDMA IDE 40G and 80G drives. I have a 40G RAID1 partition across
> the two. hdparm -t /dev/md0 gives me typically about ~25-30 MB/sec
> reads. I've tested this both using my Promise ATA133 Controller Card and
> the onboard controllers (System: Asus w/ AMD XP2100, 256MB DDR, WinTV
> GO).
>
> Live TV with Myth isn't really usable for me. Large pauses every 5-10
> seconds. I've cut the capture resolution to 480x240 and still have the
> same problems. Nothing else is running at the time and the system load
> is usually 2-3.

Hmm, as far as I've heard on the list, 2-3% CPU running LiveTV is quite
low, even for an XP2100+. Try renice'ing MythTV. Dunno how to do that, nor
which thread to touch.

It doesn't look to me like it's anything hardware. But what mobo, or
chipset, does it use? Most manufacterers recently (uhm, half a year?)
switched from using PCI for the South-to-North-bridge connection to
something faster. Could be it.

	Henk Poley <><