[mythtv] RedHat 8.0 and hardware questions.

m0j0.j0j0 mythtv-dev@snowman.net
16 Dec 2002 16:08:43 -0600

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 15:48, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 02:48:05PM -0600, m0j0.j0j0 wrote:
>
> > Both drives are on the same Maxtor/Promise ATA133 card, but on separate
> > controller interfaces. I actually don't have any part of MythTV (program
> > or live spool) in the mirrored partition. That all sits in a partition
> > within the remaining 40G non-mirrored portion of the bigger drive. Based
> > on this, do you think my software RAID setup would actually have any
> > performance-slowing affect on Myth?
>
> If you're not using that RAID-1 volume for video, then why did you give your
> hdparm statistics for that device?  MythTV will be doing 99% of its I/O
> reading and writing video data.

Sorry, I'm lame. I was originally curious why my read performance was
less than half of the original posting. I didn't initially realize he
was doing RAID 0 Striping...

I'm still wondering though... does the fact that part of the drive is in
a software RAID mirror affect write performance to the other non-mirror
partitions? Basically, would I be better off adding a third drive for
all Myth-related stuff that is completely independent of my RAID mess?