[mythtv] Is it possible to install mythtv to a PC without a TV card and use as a "client"

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:06:36 -0500

On Friday 13 December 2002 08:57 pm, Randy Page wrote:
> I don't think that this would work too well.  To my mind, the fact that
> myth is encoding and then decoding even when watching live tv, and that hdd
> performance is such a large determining factor wrt performance leads me to
> believe that this wouldn't work very well.
>
> The client/server model (I'm assuming here) would be done in such a way
> that the encode/decode would be done on the server and then the output
> stream would be dumped out the socket to the client, with no hdd activity
> at all taking place on the client end, thus reducing the load on the client
> machine (all it's doing is displaying the video stream right?).
>
> Course I could be right out to lunch though...... ;-).

Heh =)

The way it's currently setup, the client does the decoding, but the data
doesn't touch the client PC's harddrive.  So, only compressed data goes over
the network.

Isaac