[mythtv] hardware needed to smoothly record a show while watching another

Fletch mythtv-dev@snowman.net
12 Dec 2002 15:21:06 -0500

    Peter> Hi- I've read through the mailing list and the
    Peter> documentation, but I haven't seen any direct answers to
    Peter> this question:

    Peter> What hardware does it take to record a show on one channel
    Peter> while watching another channel (and preserving the ability
    Peter> to pause the one that's being watched)?

Seconded.  I grobbled through the mailing list but just found
scattered anectdotes as to what hardware could handle what.

It'd be cool (either as a seperate page or as part of the FAQ) if
there was a table with entries something like:

CPU, RAM, capture card, codec, resolution, paramters, 30 min file size

Enough data points might give a good idea where to aim at when looking
for hardware, or for tuning the codecs for a given amount of storage.

fletch@phydeaux.org   |  Vincent, you should cease askin'          \ o.O'
770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=