[mythtv] Is there a magic resolution for recording ?

Christopher Mind mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:25:23 +0000

I am trying to tweak mythtv for my P3 1 Ghz machine.  I am using MPEG4 as
RTjpeg quality was poor on my system.  I have 700 plus MB memory, an ATI TV
wonder PCI card, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, 100 Gig Hd, Nvidia Geforce Ti200
with TV out running Linux Mandrake 9 via TV out with a resolution of
640x480. Also using WindowMaker (which seems to work best the irxevent which
gets confused with KDE) and Creative Infra Remote.

So far I found that 640 x 480 is very very choppy at 1800 data rate or
above.
400 x 300 with 2000 data rate seems to be ok for recording only.  When I
attempt to playback a recording at the same time that the machine is
encoding, the program that is being encoded gets a little choppy.   352 x
300 seems to be fine but is a tad blurry at 2000 data rate.  Does the cpu
utilization scale with the resolution or data rate or are there optimal
resolutions which will always result in less cpu utilization.  I am not even
aware of what other resolutions are possible.   Also does lowering the mp3
quality reduce cpu utilization?  I am using Maxquality 2, Minquality 15 and
3 for quality difference.  Thanks