[mythtv] DB Settings/Design Question

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:20:43 -0500

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:55:22PM -0500, Chris Liscio wrote:

> I plan to start work on a tv contrast/brightness/etc (v4l) settings module
> and I think that it would probably be best to toss it into the recording
> profiles to be the most flexible.  The reason for moving towards a profile
> approach is the same as what the engineers thought when they built similar
> profiles into the Sony Wega TV series.  You can set different profiles for
> movies, tv, sports, etc to get different levels of detail and colour
> depth.

I'm not sure whether this belongs in the profile or not; in my experience,
these settings are better tied to the capture device than to the particular
program being recorded.

> Anyway, I was just wondering what the plans were for a "default" recording
> profile that is applied during live tv.  Is it something that users are
> allowed to select from the live tv screen, or would this be something set
> up in the recording profiles somewhere?

This came up on IRC the other day.  The consensus was that there should be a
"Default" profile used for scheduled recordings, and a "Live TV" profile,
both created by default during installation or initial configuration.

> Of course, if anyone thinks it'd be a better idea to put the tv settings
> along with the tuner settings and just have one global profile, let me
> know...It would probably be a lot easier to do it that way, too.  :)

Should be easy either way, but if it's in the profiles, then if the user
wants the same settings on all profiles (because they are all used on the
same capture device), it is unnecessarily complex.

--
 - mdz