[mythtv] Another newbie/hardware question...

Jon Ewing mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:26:43 -0000

Hello,

Been following MythTv for a while, and am about to jump in and build a
machine just for it, but wanted to ask a few questions first about
hardware... hope thats ok!

I'm looking at getting a Shuttle SB51G case & motherboard with a P4
2.53Ghz - I'm assuming thats plenty enough processor ;) The on-board
Audio is listed as the Realtek ALC 650 - does anyone have any experience
with this?

More of an issue is the TV Capture Card. I'm in the UK, and am looking
at getting the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-t as this is (afaik) the only
capture card that supports the free digital terrestrial channels in the
UK. I've spent quite a while trying to find out the Video4Linux status
of this card and am reading conflicting reports. Does anyone have any
info about this card?

Finally, I've got a Matrox Millenium G450 that I'm planning to use for
TV Out. Its currently in a machine running Windows 2000 (sorry ;), and I
wondered about the status of the linux drivers for this card, and how
MythTV works with it. Ultimately I'd like to not have a monitor attached
to the box, and just have MythTV running full screen on the TV, with
video/tv/dvd playback taking over full screen when in operation. Is this
how MythTV works? Under windows theres a setting in the driver options
called something like DVD-Clone that notices when any kind of video
playback is occuring and just dumps the video out to the TV. How does
this work with the "themeable semi-transparent on-screen display"?

Thanks for your help - assuming all this hardware'll work I'm going to
place an order first thing in the new year ;)

jon.