[mythtv] Feature suggestion, automatic old show deletion.

Bruce Markey mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:57:19 -0800

Ray wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 02:55:44PM -0800, Gregorio Gervasio Jr. wrote:
> That reminds me, most shows play more than once per day and often more than
> once per week.  it would be nice if the conflict resolution code could
> automatically re-schedule a recording for a later time/day if necessary
> without user intervention.

You may get this effect by preferring shows that are shown
once over shows that are repeated throughout the day or
week. Check the "remember this..." box. The repeated show
will 'lose' the first showing, 'win' a later showing and
will be marked as recorded for all remaining showings.

The problem of the system understanding the viewers
preferences is handled very well by one leading commercial
product and handled VERY badly by another. MythTV's
"Fix Recording Conflicts" I believe is already more useful
than what either product currently offers for resolving
individual conflicts.

What I'd like to see eventually in myth, is a list of
all recurring recording choices and the ability to
stack them up in order of the viewer's preference.
By doing this, the default choices will be based on the
viewer's taste rather than an arbitrary algorithm
until the viewer intervenes. The viewer can still fudge
specific cases through the 'Fix' page but the default
conflict resolutions would normally be what the viewer
wanted in the first place.

The 'conflictresolutionany' table sort of does this now
but only compares one title to another. This becomes an
N squared problem when there are dozens (or hundreds ;-)
of titles chosen.

--  bjm