[mythtv] Direct TV Support

Matt Jones mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:57:07 -0800

The controller port you speak of, is it standard serial? I'm assuming your
talking about the "Low speed data" port on the back of the box.
Thanks, and hopefully this works,
Matt Jones

----Original Message Follows----
From: tarek Lubani <tarek@tarek.2y.net>
To: mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Subject: Re: [mythtv] Direct TV Support
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:21:20 -0500
Sender: mythtv-dev-admin@snowman.net

Howdy..

It depends on what exactly you're talking about.. The basic structure means
that you would hook your DirecTV receiver up to the computer in 3 ways:

1) DTV's Video out --> computer's video in (usually video capture card; tv
card)
2) DTV's audio out (L/R) --> computer's line in (usually on a sound card)
3) DTV's "controller" port --> computer's serial port..

So, with these connections, video and audio flow to the computer, and your
computer (with myth) can control the DTV receiver.. If your computer doesn't
have a usable port (i.e., a Hughes HIRD-D0 I once had), then you would have
to use an IR transmitter with something like LIRC..

You'll need "stuff".. For example, there is a script that we use to download
our PPV movies, though currently there is no way to order the movies from
myth.. Also, there is a script to do the Serial controlling, though you can
make your own if you really want.. All of these things should be in the
FAQ..

tarek : )