[mythtv] Feature suggestion, automatic old show deletion.

Henk Poley mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:53:41 +0100

> Van: Mark Musone <mmusone@shatterit.com>
>
> > Van: Ray <maillists@sonictech.net>
> >
> > One thing I'd like to see is the option to automatically delete old
> > shows to make room for new recordings.  When adding a timed recording
> > the user should get an option to choose a priority for the show so some
> > recordings would get deleted in preference to others.  As the program
> > ages the priority would drop and watching the program would also drop
> > it so older and previously viewed programs would get deleted first.
> > I'd like this because there are several news shows that I record from
> > 2-6am and ff through over morning coffee.  If I don't have time to
> > watch them that morning they might as well be deleted if more room is
> > needed since there'll be newer versions tommorow. Also having to
> > remember to delete every show after watching it is a minor annoyance.

Asked that before, with the same news-show standpoint. But maybe there's
someone besides you and me who think this is nice.

> Great Idea.. it's called programming groups..
>
> you can specify a group for "Friends" and you specify how many shows you
> want ot record in the group.. and it'll just keep recording over the old
> shows..so if you have 3 slots configured for "friends", you know you'll
> always have the three latest shows.

Nice idea, but I don't think I'd like to fantasize about what group I'm
going to add a program (not everything I record are series). Plus it's
nicer if you can just state how much days it should store the file
(basicaly does the same). And you won't get stupid cludges in your
record-list when you want to do that are impossible with "programming
groups".

Or do both, like:

----
 Add to group [none/group]

 0 Keep for at least [nr] [day(s)/week(s)/weekend(s)/midweek(s)]
   0 Delete when timer ends
   0 Delete when space is needed
       Delete priority: [fav prog./newsshow/unknow quality prog./..etc..]
 0 I will delete it myself (possible anyways)

 [x] Ask wether to keep it after it's watched
----

Looks nice to me :-)

The group dialog should contain something to set how much recordings you
want to keep per group. A setting to add an offset to all the "keep for at
least [nr] days" entries would be handy, when you're going on holidays or
something.

You might consider adding a column (clock/bar/text) in the recorded-list
which states how long the show will bekept. Make sure it's easy to see if
it will be deleted directly or kept untill spaces it needed (eg. add a > or
+).

You might want to simplify some things so it's easier to implement. And do
some checks so you can't set things like "delete after 0 days"...

	Henk Poley <><