[mythtv] gcc3.2 + mythTV = trouble...

Chris Liscio mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:31:12 -0500

But I'm sure most of you already knew that. :)

It appears there is a "bug" that is popping up when you try to run mythTV
(cvs, from before Issac's "don't use this" fixes) compiled with debug
symbols.  It dies on the first call to sleep(), which on the stack crawl
appears to be happening somewhere in libc.  Obviously something
non-myth-related.  :)

Anyway, I tried to migrate my Mandrake 9 box over to gcc2.9, and it doesn't
appear to be very easy to do so.  In particular, making myth after doing a
'urpmi gcc-2.9' failed because it can't find the qt libs or headers.  Also,
running configure doesn't work either.  It appears gcc doesn't know where
all my headers are all of a sudden.  This is all becoming quite messy now.

If anyone has any pointers on how to do this all painlessly, that would be
quite helpful.  In the meantime, I think I'm going to do some research and
move over to either Gentoo or Debian during the week (or today if I start
procrastinating again...).  I think I am swaying towards Gentoo right now,
as it appears to be a nice tiny distro with a lot of benefits for a tinkerer
like myself.  I think Mandrake was a bit bloaty for my liking in the end.

If anyone thinks otherwise, I would be happy to take this off the list since
this machine has to be doing some important serving along with the mythTV
functions and I can't really afford to leave anything up to chance.
Obviously, any sort of information one might have about the pros/cons of
either distro for mythTV *specifically* would be very helpful to us all.
Please, no religious wars...That's what Slashdot is for.  ;)

In the end, I would like to turn a mythTV box on and have it go right to
mythTV (autologin  et al), with as little extra crap as possible.  This is
the desired configuration I'd like to provide others who might want to delve
into the world of mythTV without delving into the world of Linux.  :)

As usual, all help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris