[mythtv] Serial Control for (DirecTV) Satellite Receivers

tarek Lubani mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 15:11:41 -0500

hey guys!!

Well, I have finally gotten a DirecTV satellite receiver with serial
interface (a Uniden as it were).. When I tried to get sony.pl going from
http://tarek.2y.net/myth/sony.pl , it did not work properly.. I went back
to the original file, which is from http://www.hitchhiker.org/dss , and got
it.. it worked.. So, I chopped it down a smidge, and made it a command line
script.. Here are the differences between this and the previous sony.pl
(available at http://tarek.2y.net/myth/sony.pl.old):

1) The default serial port of the script is serial port 1 (ttyS0)
2) It sleeps between each send for approximately 0.1 seconds, which
prevents a bug that had been happening on mine and other receivers in which
it would send the first character and then jam.
3) It actually works.. at least on my uniden : )

I am *completely* open to any suggestions / bug reports / etc. For more
information on the scheme underlying this puppy, or to try to control your
dtv receiver from windows:

http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/

Now the fun *really* begins : ) Thank you all : )

tarek : )