[mythtv] mythmusic w/o id3 and setting to limit how often rereads dir

Chris Pinkham mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 02:06:27 -0500 (EST)

Couple of ideas that people might like for mythmusic.  I've already
implemented one and will do the 2nd real soon probably.

I don't have ID3 tags on most of the 2000+ mp3 files that I've ripped from
my wife and my CDs.  My car mp3 jukebox computer doesn't need ID3 tags so
I never bothered to add them to the files I ripped.  I store the files in
paths ending like GENRE/ARTIST/ALBUM/TITLE.mp3.  Since I don't have ID3
tags these show up in mythmusic a little weird (ie, not by genre, artist,
album, title order).  I added a little code to mythmusic (in maddecoder.cpp
I think) to fake the ID3 info if it's not there.  It assumes the files
are stored in the above directory structure and uses that info to populate
the correct variables before populating the database.  I was wondering if
others might be interested in something like this or if they have better
ways to do it.  My code is enabled/disabled by an "ignoreID3" variable in
settings.txt

My second idea concerns mythmusic scanning the directory every X times
that it starts up.  I'd prefer that it never did the scan unless I wanted
it to (ie, picking a menu item), but will probably take the easy road
out right now and make the just make it a setting in the config file
to scan every X startups.  I think someone said it does it every other
time right now which can get to be really slow.  I have all my mp3 files
stored on an nfs/samba server so mythmusic reading them can be slow.

Comments/suggestions/flames?? :)

Chris

** Chris Pinkham                  Linux v2.2.18, Sane v1.0.4, Cajun v3.0-8 **
** cpinkham@bc2va.org                          http://www.bc2va.org/chris/ **