[mythtv] Asus / nVidia combo card support?

Mark Musone mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:34:02 -0500

the biggest problem with tv-out cards is that most of them
are based on the idea of using your computer (i.e. surfing the web..etc..)
using a TV...so they intentionally do not overscan and often times
actually shrink and re-sample the output to make sure that _every_ part
of the computer screen is displayed on the TV (i.e. you get the black borders..etc..

the idea being, it's more important to make sure that the ENTIRE image appears
on the TV, which is contrary to TV/Video viewing purposes. with Video viewing,
the idea is "it's ok if we extend past the end of the screen, and it's more
important to fill the entire screen than to have stuff cut-off. This is
called overscanning..

it's pretty much hit-and-miss in finding a video card with TV-out that
allows you to enable overscan.

This is also why the external NTSC convertors actually work real nice, because
they usually have a greater capability for overscan.

-Mark