[mythtv] dxr3 output

Erik Arendse mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:05:25 +0100

At 6-12-02 12:53, Hans-Christian Prytz <hcp_public@prytz.net> wrote:
> > The problem seems to the card only accepts MPEG, so it you want to
> > want to put your own images on it you first have to encode them into
> > MPEG. I hope I understood it wrong, but this is what I found in the
> > very sparse info on the net.
>
>I think you are probably right, at least as far as I understand.
>
>I don't know how they do it in Freevo, but they seem to rely on a
>patched version of the SDL libraries

Thanks for the pointer! I looked around a bit in the SDL-lib and the DX3
patch for it: The output is written to a buffer, compressed with libfame to
MPEG and send it to the card.
Could be an option if you have the CPU to spare, but only works good for
static output. If you want to overlay a OSD or even a simple channelnumber
you would have to decode the MJPEG/DIVX stream to a buffer, write the osd
in the buffer, and re-encode with libfame.
Not something I'd recommend for quality, let alone performance...

To me the dxr3 avenue just turned into a dead end :-(

Erik