[mythtv] Radio

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:23:34 -0500

On Thursday 05 December 2002 08:50 am, David Watson wrote:
> I'm slowly working on integrating radio recording into myth.
> I've figured out enough of the code to hack something together,
> but I wanted to get a reality check before I went any further.
>
> My current solution is to add another input to my card labeled
> FMRadio, and to add another channel for the radio station I want
> to record.  This has the side effect of treating the radio like
> a video source.  This allows me to schedule the radio along with
> the TV (which is required since it's the same piece of hardware)
> and also includes the potential for all the normal live TV
> features like pausing.
>
> However, I haven't figured out an elegant solution to dealing with
> the video while only working with an audio stream.  In particular
> I'm trying to decide if I should hack the NuppelVideo code, or
> just create my own audio-only solution.  Both seem like bad ideas,
> so I figured I'd make sure there wasn't another path I should try
> to pursue.

Hm.  I think it should be a separate set of code, but most of it can be copied
directly from the existing nuppelvideo[recorder/player] classes... probably
do the same with the TV class, too..  Be a good idea to use straight audio
files, too, and not the .nuv format wrapper.

Anyway, I think that'd produce the cleanest set of code for both that and the
existing video stuff..  The scheduler would have to be extended slightly to
know about it, but that's 'bout all, really.

Isaac