[mythtv] audio problems

Scott and Jill Gargash mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 01 Dec 2002 09:40:10 -0700

I'm playing around with MythTV on an older box and I'm having some
problems with the audio.
I'm running RedHat 7.3 on a box with integrated sound on the
motherboard.  The audio works fine with xawtv and various mp3 programs,
but when i try to launch MythTV I get the following error message

player: Can't open audio device: /dev/dsp
open audio:: Device or resource busy
using XV port 46
illegal instruction

And then it crashes.  Part of what is odd is that I do get sound.  The
sounds from the Tuner card starts as soon as I launch MythTV and it
continues playing even after it crashes.

I have checked the permissions on /dev/dsp (they're fine), checked to
see if some other program has /dev/dsp open with lsof (it doesn't), and
from some message on the mailing list archive checked to see if I could
open /dev/dsp read-write (I could).  I don't know what is causing the
problem except: Does MythTV require ALSA drivers?  (I hope not) RedHat
doesn't use the ALSA drivers, and I spent *far* too much time messing
around with them last evening, but couldn't get them to work. Of course,
it doesn't help that the RedHat installation, soundcheck utility and
lspci give me 3 different answers as to what sound chip is integrated on
the motherboard (CIrrus Logic CS4232, CS4236 and 4610/11, respectively).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

	Scott